Training and Assessment Career Pathways

Training and Assessment Career

Are you keen on sharing your expertise and skills with other people so that you can help to change their lives for the better? It is possible to do this if you follow the right pathway.

The first thing you need to do is complete the Certificate IV in Training and Assessment which qualifies you to take on many different roles. At the moment, TAFEs, training organisations, and lots of workplaces are in need of qualified trainers & assessors to provide training & assessment services.

Contact Us

5 ways are described below showing how you can use your Cert IV TAE to follow a career as a qualified trainer & assessor.

Career pathways for trainers & assessors


Private RTOs are companies that have been given permission by the Australian government to teach some of the nationally recognised qualifications. These diplomas and certificates relate directly to certain industries which include child care, information technology, accounting, and aviation.

Today there are Australia approximately 5,000 RTOs. Each employs trainers & assessors whose specialities are delivering vocational education to specific industries.

The role of RTO trainers and assessors

Trainers at RTOs don’t just teach courses but evaluate whether their students have the right knowledge and skillset to perform certain defined skills. They do not only assign grades using a sliding scale of letters but assess a student’s competence based on whether he or she has become competent or hasn’t reached the required competency.

This is typically achieved by assigning practical assignments, giving written questions, and even scenarios where problem-solving is the theme. The Certificate IV in Training & assessment 40116 is the minimum qualification an RTO requires for their trainers & assessors.

Vocational education training (VET) trainers at a TAFE

A vocational education teacher/trainer often works in a Technical & Further Education (TAFE) institute which performs the same role as a private RTO, but is often run by a state or territory government. VET teachers/trainers play a fundamental role in the VET sector.

What does a VET Teacher do?

A teacher/ assessor at a TAFE institute teaches and determines the competency level of his/her students in their specialist area so that they can get a job in a wide range of industries. Similar to an RTO, standards that are nationally recognised are used in the training programmes to prepare students for real employment. This is why a VET teacher needs to hold a Certificate IV TAE 40116 in training & assessment.

The role of a workplace or corporate trainer

A corporate trainer facilitates learning in a workplace and many corporations and companies are frequently looking for trainers and assessors to upskill their workforces so they are well prepared to do a good job.

What does a training professional do?

A corporate or workplace trainer identifies the skill deficiencies of staff so that the best training program may be implemented. A trainer & assessor may also need to design custom learning resources like handbooks to help students reach the required competency to suit the needs of the respective corporation.

Starting up an RTO business

Setting up a completely new RTO is a possibility for those entrepreneur-minded qualified trainers & assessors. When operating a private you can enroll students who are seeking a practical course to complete. However, you will be responsible for recruiting trainers & assessors and developing resources for the courses you choose to offer.


Having the appropriate industry experience and gaining the Certificate IV in TAE in your area of expertise allows you the opportunity to be paid to be a trainer/assessor for any industry, as long as you have the right certification and accumulated experience. Using this course to develop your expertise and qualifications further is a good way to become a professional.